Written by Kirill Vasilyev on July 27, 2010 at 9:00 AM
In this article, I will teach you how to export any Apple iWork Numbers spreadsheet into a CSV file. CSV format is pretty standardized and can be used with almost any software that has file import feature. You can use CSV to transfer database information between several software products or use it to backup information you have in your software products.
CSV is always a plain text file, normally in unicode UTF-8 or UTF-16 text encoding. Every line of the file represents one record (a single customer record) that contains information about your customer in the form of data fields (such as name, email address, phone number, etc.) separated by a comma(normally), semicolon or TAB.
If your spreadsheet contains customers with Order, Name, Email, Product and Website columns, your CSV file would look as pictured below:
Note that the second example contains quotes around the data fields. The quote character is called Qualifier. Some spreadsheet processors add it for better clarity in case if commas are used in the fields. Normally, either quotes or apostrophes are used as qualifiers. Comma here is called Field Separation Character or delimiter. It can be comma, semicolon or TAB. By default Apple iWork Numbers uses comma as delimiter and does not use any qualifiers.
How to create a CSV file in Apple iWork Numbers
Suppose you have a spreadsheet with customer database as shown below. Every customer has an order number, name, email address, product ordered and a website he or she ordered it from. Below is an example I will be using through this article in order to demonstrate you the whole process.
1. Start Apple iWork Numbers.
2. Open your spreadsheet file.
3. Use the File->Export… command in the main menu to open the Export dialog box.
4. Click on the CSV tab and select UTF-8 text encoding in the Export dialog box.
Below is shown the Export dialog box with the details on what should be clicked and in which order.
5. Press the Next… button and a Save dialog box will appear on the screen. Here you will need to specify name of your CSV file and location.
6. Press the Export button and a new CSV file will be created at the location you have specified.